New Service

Opening a New Account

In order to establish new water, wastewater and solid waste services, you must submit an application and pay an applicable installation fee and/or deposit. To expedite the process, applications are available online.

Items Needed to Open an Account

You will need a valid driver's license or state issued identification card to establish service, as well as appropriate paperwork showing the lease or purchase of property.

Single Unit Residential

There is a $50 installation fee for most single-unit residences to establish new water, wastewater and residential trash service. The fee is payable when the application for service is submitted.
  • Office Requests - For service needed in less than three business days, visit the Customer & Utility Services Department located in the Municipal Building at 405 N Rusk St. Office hours are from 7:45 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. We require a half day's notice for new installs. View the Residential Utility Service Application.
  • Online Requests - The City of Sherman offers convenient online requests (through 2TurnItOn) for new residential water service. The online application requires a notice of three (3) business days. The installation fee must be paid via credit card. Send your required documents to

Multi-Unit / Nonresidential

There is a required deposit and installation fee to establish service. Please call 903-892-7237 for assistance. View the Commercial Utility Service Application used to establish multi-unit and nonresidential service. Also see Early Refund of Utility Deposits.